The JSCE (Junior Secondary School Examination), also known as BECE (Basic Education Certificate Examination) test the candidate’s knowledge and skill on Music.
Here are the topics that should be covered before taking this exam:
Introduction to Music: (a) Definition of Music (b)Sound (c) Sources of music (d) Uses of Music/ The Impact of music on human life.
Elements of Music
Kinds and Classification of Music.(a) Folk Music, Classical Music, Sacred Music, Popular Music, Martial Music and Arts Music. (b) Classification- Description of groups or classes of Music – Vocal Music, Instrument Music and Dance.
Musical Alphabets and Introduction of Musical staff: (a) Musical Alphabets_ A,B,C,D,E,F,G.
(b) Staff: Definition of Staff, Letter names of Lines and spaces [Treble Staff] and [ Bass Staff].
Recorder Music: Description 0f the Recorder, The Recorder family, Holding the Recorder.
Clefs/ letter-names of lines and spaces (Treble and Bass staff): Definition of Clef, kinds of
Clef. G clef or Treble Clef, F clef or Bass clef.
Great Staff: Description of Great staff or stave. Letter names of lines and spaces. Great stave and the key board.
History of Music: Life and Works of G.F Handel
Musical Notes and their values. Instructional Materials: Cards, Diagrams and Keyboard.
Relationship between musical notes
Musical rest and their values
Time Signature: Definition of Time Signature, Types of Time Signature, Classifications of Time Signature.
Folk songs: Description of folk music songs. Western Fork songs. Nigerian folk songs, singing of folk songs.
Classifications of African musical instruments: Names of Nigeria instruments. Classification of Musical instruments – Idiophones, Aerophones, Membranophone and chordophones.
Traditional Musical Instruments/ Making of Local Musical Instruments
Playing the recorder: Fingering the Recorder, playing the Recorder, Fingering for the right hand.
History of Music: Composers Of Baroque Period ,Life and works of Johann Sebastian Bach.
Music Notation: Definition of Music Notation. Kinds of Music Notation.
Dotted Notes and their Values: Definition of Dotted Notes. Effects of Dots. Effects of Double Dots.
Methods of Extending Note Values: Tie and Pause or Fermata. The Effect of Tie. The Effect of Pause.
Scales: Introduction, Definition of Scale, Kinds of Scale-Diatonic Scale and Chromatic Scale.
Major Scale: Tetrachord. Tones and Semitones.
Major Scale of C Natural: Key C Major Scale. Tone- Semitone Arrangement.
Technical Names Of A Major Scale
Keyboard Setting/ Accidentals.
Keyboard Setting- Tones and Semitones, Enharmonic Notes.
Classifications of Western Musical Instruments
Intervals-Definition, Kinds-Major and Minor.
Intervals-Perfect, Augmented and Diminished.
History of Music 1- Some Nigerian Art Musicians- Echezona, Akin Euba, Nzewi, T. K. E. Philips
and Sam Ojukwu.
Triads and Chords- Definition, Composition, Types-Primary (Major) and Secondary (Minor)
Inversion of Triads
Rudiments of Harmony: Two Parts Writing
- Lectures 57
- Quizzes 1
- Duration 40 minutes
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 54
- Assessments Yes
MUSIC PAST QUESTIONS
JSS 1 FIRST TERM MUSIC NOTE
JSS 1 1ST TERM
JSS 1 SECOND TERM
JSS 1 2ND TERM
- Musical Notes and their values. Instructional Materials: Cards, Diagrams and Keyboard.
- Relationship of Musical Notes
- Musical Rest and their values
- TIME SIGNATURE
- Folk Songs
- CLASSIFICATIONS OF AFRICAN MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS
- Traditional Musical Instruments/ Making of Local Musical Instruments
- Playing the recorder
- MUSIC HISTORY: Composers Of Baroque Period
- MULTIPLE CHOICE QUESTIONS
JSS 1 THIRD TERM
JSS 1 3RD TERM
JSS 2 FIRST TERM
JSS 2 1ST TERM
- Tonic Solfa Notation.
- Broken Chords (Arpegios) in Staff and solfa: Solfa in Broken Chords.
- Key signatures: Major keys with sharps and Construction of keys G and D major
- Major Keys with Flat signs
- MAJOR SCALES
- STAFF TO SOLFA AND SOLFA TO STAFF
- SIGHT SINGING: SOLFA and STAFF
- KINDS OF SCALE— DIATONIC (Major& Minor), CHROMATIC & PENTATONIC.
- Ear Training (Practical)
- MULTIPLE CHOICE QUESTIONS
JSS 2 SECOND TERM
JSS 2 2ND TERM
- Keyboard Setting—Tones and Semitones, Enharmonic Notes. Instructional Materials: Keyboard
- Classification of Western Musical Instruments
- Intervals. Instructional Material: Keyboard
- History of Music 1
- Triads and Chords- Definition, Composition, Types- Primary [Major] and Secondary [minor].
- TRIADS (TYPES & INVERSION OF TRIADS)
- Rudiments of harmony in two parts writing
JSS 2 THIRD TERM
JSS 2 3RD TERM